Thursday 11 June 2009

TFL Cycling Scheme

I don't think I've mentioned it here, but I've been looking forward to the start of TFL's new Cycle Hire scheme which (due to the fact that SE11 is secretly in Zone 1) will extend as far South as Oval and is due to begin in May 2010. There's a nice handy map of the coverage here. You might want to lament the fact that less than a quarter of the entire provision of the scheme is made for South of the River, but let's not complain about that too much now...

The local community were consulted about provision for bicycles and their stands in March 2009.

A table of potential docking locations offered is available here and images of potential docking station location were produced.

I don't know what emerged from the KOV forum consultation which took place.

However, I do know that Cllr Rob Banks (Oval, Lib Dem) offered to pass on comments from one local committee that the docking station outside Windmill Row "would mean the loss of parking bays in an area where there are not enough at the moment due to red routes etc, bad news for disabled drivers and local businesses, and there are other nearby sites for the bikes." I presume these comments were passed on to the relevant authorities.

Consequently, (in an email passed to Ms Porteur today), we are somewhat disappointed to see that one of the planning permission requests surrounding the scheme actually includes the Windmill Row site which was commented on (by at least one committee) as inappropriate. There were 34 potential sites, so it didn't seem that difficult to avoid the problematic one.

The sites requested for permission (so far) are:

<><> <><> <><> <><> <><> <><>

.
Bishops 09/01698/FUL 2/6/2009Under Waterloo Bridge - North East Of Belvedere Road LondonInstallation on the pedestrian footway of a cycle hire docking station containing a maximum of 39 do...Pending Consideration
Bishops 09/01700/FUL 29/05/2009Footway Opposite 150-152 Concert Hall Approach LondonInstallation on the pedestrian footway of cycle hire docking stations containing a maximum of 41 doc...Pending Consideration
Princes 09/01678/FUL 29/05/2009Land On Sancroft Street Outside Woodstock Court LondonInstallation on the vehicle carriageway of a cycle hire docking station containing a maximum of 25 d...Pending Consideration
Oval 09/01778/FUL 5/6/2009Under Railway Bridge, Vauxhall Station, Kennington Lane LondonInstallation on pedestrian footway of cycle hire docking station for the transport for london cycle ...Pending Consideration
Oval 09/01720/FUL 1/6/2009Outside 1-5 Windmill Row LondonInstallation on the vehicle carriageway of a cycle hire docking station containing a maximum of 32 d...Pending Consideration


The problem is that I don't know whether to advise readers to object to the planning permission on the Windmill Row site. I'd rather have the cycle hire in an inappropriate place than not at all.

5 comments:

Cllr Rob Banks said...

Note that I am not a Labour Councillor in Princes but a Lib Dem Councillor in Oval!

Yes, I certainly did pass these comments on to TFL when they ran the consultation session at the new Lilian Baylis School on Kennington Lane. I will see if there is any scope for adjustment in the plans. I agree that the idea for the scheme is a good one but there is very little space on the Windmill Row pavement as it is!

Regards

Cllr Rob Banks
Lib Dem, Oval Ward

SE11 Lurker said...

Apologies. My fault entirely. I've now edited your ward and party. Thanks for confirming the info. was passed on and agreeing to chase. I'm very impressed by your speed of response.

(Obviously, I've had Princes on the brain for weeks)

SE11 Lurker said...

Apologies. My fault entirely. I've now edited your ward and party. Thanks for confirming the info. was passed on and agreeing to chase. I'm very impressed by your speed of response.

(Obviously, I've had Princes on the brain for weeks)

Cllr Rob Banks said...

No problem - I just wanted to make clear that I did pass on the commment earlier this year, just that it appears TFL didn't listen!
I will let you know when I get a reply.

Rob

Cllr Rob Banks said...

News update on this - I have commented, as a local councillor, to oppose the scheme for the windmill row cycle bays and, if officers recommend granting permission, have asked for this to be brought before the planning committee (hopefully officers at Lambeth will refuse it anyway)

Cllr Rob Banks
Oval Ward

Label Cloud

Blog Archive